So you want to get a guinea pig or just got one? Why search the world wide webs when I’ve already done it? Please find for your benefit the most useful links I found so far. Hope this is useful for you and please add more to the comments if you find more.
- Overview video on YouTube: easy way to get a quick idea if you are into guinea pigs
- Costs of Ownership of Guinea Pigs by SPCA: We are not in the best financial shape now so the cost of ownership was important to us. This page helped us make sure that this cute furball wasn’t going to end up the focus of our anger as a result of increased financial burden. It also made me realize that the chance of me ever owning a dog is pretty much zero! Take a look at the cost of owning these other animals!
- Wiki-how page. Contains lots of pre-purchase and post-purchase info. Very easy to read with quality graphics
- Can’t go wrong with the BC SPCA. They’ve dealt with a few animals in their day…
Guinea Pig Entertainment on You Tube
Things I’ve Learned about Guinea Pigs that seem to be worth sharing
- It took Pikabu almost exactly one week to get comfortable enough to be held without biting (strong nibbling).
- After 10 days he still prefers to hide out in his ‘hiding box’ of his cage for hours and hours. Yet he also seems to like being held.
- He poos a lot and usually several solid loaves at a time
- He seems to be somewhat ‘potty trained’ and, like a cat, seems to poo only in certain designated areas (corners). This is a cool thing I didn’t know and obviously quite helpful for ‘spot cleaning’