Someone complaining that they can’t view an Apple .MOV file on your Nextcloud server? No surprise considering ‘apple is apple’.
Heard about the cool app ‘Video Convertor’ for Nextcloud? Tried to install it and use it and got that ‘requires ffmpeg error?
Turns out it’s pretty easy to to get it going and here is how:
Let’s do it.
- ssh into your Nextcloud box. In my case it’s a nextcloudpi box if that matters…
- type this into the command line:
sudo apt install ffmpeg
- Hit your enter key
- Wait a long time while a seriously large amount of stuff installs (and probably this is why it’s not installed by default)
- Go back to your video file in the Nextcloud in the browser user interface and note the three dots on the right side of the file name. Click that
- Select the video icon ‘convert into’
- Choose your options for speed and format
- Do it.
- Wait again (a lot of waiting here…)
- Create a new share of the newly created video file
- Test the file (good practice) by sending the share to yourself in a browser that you don’t use so you are seeing what your recipient will see without your login credentials affecting things.
- All good? Ship the new link to your recipient
Hope that helps