Edit 1: July 14, 2016: Added section ‘The Visible Second Coming of Christ” at bottom. Coming next: General biblical cosmology – What does the Bible say about the rest of the universe?
First Publication: July 2016
While I continue my journey down the flat earth versus globe earth investigation, it has become apparent a need to pull together a simple list of any scriptures in the Bible that seem to support a flat earth model and, should I find any, include those that support a globe earth model. To give credit where credit is due, many of the foundational scriptures of this post come from this video.
Why Bother Exploring This at All?
Truth. Does truth matter?
- Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. (John 17:17)
- [He is] the Rock, his work [is] perfect: for all his ways [are] judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right [is] he. (Deuteronomy 32:4)
- For thy mercy [is] great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds. (Psalm 57:10)
- Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)
- He that answereth a matter before he heareth [it], it [is] folly and shame unto him. (Proverbs 18:13)
- One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established. (Deuteronomy 19:15)
- All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (1 Timothy 3:16)
- God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged. (Romans 3:4)
The last scripture “Let God be true, but every man a liar” needs to be our modus operandi (M.O.) for receiving any information. This is the information generation and therefore the greater the need for better filters. One needs to take the position that every word of man is a lie and that every word from God is true. Assume the world is lying and be surprised when it is not. After all, Satan is the father of lies.
Let all men be liars. Let God be true.
Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.
If you love the truth and seek it, and filter everything through the assumption that everything you were ever taught other than God’s word may very well be giant pile of steaming something, then you are in a good position to find the truth and read your Bible in a new and exciting way!
The Implications – Why the Lie?
The very moment you start to explore even the possibility that the earth may be flat, you simultaneously must also ask yourself, “Self: why the lie?”
The Globe Earth Model Seems to Be a Direct Attack on God’s Word
Genesis shows that the earth was created first (1:1), then vegetation (1:11) and then, after the earth and vegetation were already there, God brings forth the sun and moon (1:14) – therefore members of mainstream modern ‘science’ present a direct and polar opposite attack on God’s word. This should come as no surprise because evolution, also presented by the same group, constitutes a direct attack on the very creation and image of man as the Lord says clearly that He made us in His image (1:26), not as a byproduct of random monkey business.
The Great Deception
Although there isn’t a lot of time to expound on this one, there are several scriptures in the Bible that seem to indicate that ‘space’ and ‘asteroids’ and ‘green aliens’ will form part of the end time shenanigans of the anti-Christ and the final deception. His ‘lying wonders’ will deceive even the elect and this never-preached, never-read and never discussed scripture has always seemed a little too close to the popular presentation of ‘aliens’ – which are clearly demonic in nature:
And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs [come] out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, [which] go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. (Revelations 16:13-14)
Something is definitely ‘up’ with aliens and world-wide deception…
Money and Power
One simple thing that people forget is that organizations like NASA, and all those that are connected to it, make a lot of money. They literally suck the money out of taxpayer jeans without account. For what? A few rockets fired up every few years? Imagine if that money was dispersed to the needy of the earth for food, clean water, shelter and clothing? Instead there is a money train that needs to keep chugging along. And there are powerful people who want this globe earth model to continue. It helps the average person feel very small and powerless and for those on top, who know the truth, it helps them feel much more powerful than they really are.
Why this Matters
If the above didn’t, of its own accord, pull your heart strings and stir inside of you a certain feeling of a concern that you may be already be deeply deceived, and if you need further help seeing why this topic matters, we now present the following list of reasons:
- All of our astronomical teachings collapse
- Atheism collapses
- Humanism collapses
- NASA and space exploration collapse and therefore must be a scam
- Aliens (at least their origin and nature) collapse
- Airlines and telecoms must be involved
- Hollywood and popular music are involved
But God’s word remains.
O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane [and] vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called (1 Timothy 6:20)
Keep in mind as you explore this topic that a very large chunk of science is based on faith, not fact. A theory is just a theory. When ‘theory’ is taught as ‘fact’ we need to get very involved and concerned. Evolution is just such an example. And so it must be noted that scientists are not ‘unbelievers’ as they often claim. Instead, they absolutely believe – but just not the words of the Bible. They have faith in other things and other ways. They indeed have their own gods and faith.
Scientists also have a long history of lying to the world. Money always talks. If the margarine producers of the world need to sell more margarine, they will find the right scientists to find the right data to present to the world in the right way. Then when the butter producers realize their sales have plummeted because of this new and convenient ‘scientific data’ about margarine, they’ll go do the same.
Even though it may seem that I am 100% sold on the flat earth model, I am not yet fully there. I log this journey only so that I can be sure I’m properly thinking it through and leaving a record for others to follow. It is very inconvenient to try to explain all this when I meet people so I am hopeful that this post will be a good resource not only for myself but for others.
Consider a flat earth.
What you believe does matter.
I have included Strong’s definition links for words that seem most critical for this study. You can and should, of course, go and do your own research because let God be true and all men liars, remember.
- Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved. (1 Chronicles 16:30)
- The LORD reigneth, he is clothed with majesty; the LORD is clothed with strength, [wherewith] he hath girded himself: the world also is stablished, that it cannot be moved. (Psalm 93:1)
- Say among the heathen [that] the LORD reigneth: the world also shall be established that it shall not be moved: he shall judge the people righteously. (Psalm 96:10)
Foundation/Foundations of the Earth
- And the channels of the sea appeared, the foundations of the world were discovered, at the rebuking of the LORD, at the blast of the breath of his nostrils.(2 Samuel 22:16)
- Then the channels of waters were seen, and the foundations of the world were discovered at thy rebuke, O LORD, at the blast of the breath of thy nostrils. (Psalms 18:15)
- Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens [are] the work of thy hands. (Psalm 102:25)
- When he prepared the heavens, I [was] there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth: When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep: When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth (Proverbs 8:27-29)
- Mine hand also hath laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens: [when] I call unto them, they stand up together. (Isaiah 48:13)
- Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations of heaven moved and shook, because he was wroth. (2 Samuel 22:8)
- They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course. (Psalm 82:5)
- Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; (Job 38:4-6)
- [Who] laid the foundations of the earth, [that] it should not be removed for ever. (Psalm 104:5)
- He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, [and] lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set [them] among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth [are] the LORD’S, and he hath set the world upon them. (1 Samuel 2:8)
- Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble. (Job 9:6)
Four Corners of the Earth
- And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth. (Isaiah 11:12)
- Also, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD unto the land of Israel; An end, the end is come upon the four corners of the land. (Ezekiel 7:2)
- And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (Revelation 7:1)
Ends of the Earth
- [Namely], of the gods of the people which [are] round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the [one] end of the earth even unto the [other] end of the earth (Deuteronomy 13:7)
Solid Dome Firmament Canopy
- And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. 7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which [were] under the firmament from the waters which [were] above the firmament: and it was so. 8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day. (Genesis 1:6-8)
- And above the firmament that [was] over their heads [was] the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne [was] the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it. (Ezekiel 1:26)
- Hast thou with him spread out the sky, [which is] strong, [and] as a molten looking glass? (Job 37:18)
- Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations of heaven moved and shook, because he was wroth. (2 Samuel 22:8)
Sun and Moon Travel Around the Earth (geocentric)
- Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, Which [is] as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, [and] rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. His going forth [is] from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof. (Psalm 19:4-6) (Read expanded comments on this scripture here)
- The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose. (Ecclesiastes 1:5)
- Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. [Is] not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. (Joshua 10:12-13)
- The sun [and] moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went, [and] at the shining of thy glittering spear. (Habakkuk 3:11)
Disc/Circle versus Globe/Ball
- Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, Which [is] as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, [and] rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. His going forth [is] from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof. (Psalm 19:4-6)
- Thus [were] the visions of mine head in my bed; I saw, and behold a tree in the midst of the earth, and the height thereof [was] great. 11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth: (Daniel 4:10-11)
- [It is] he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof [are] as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in (Isaiah 40:22)
- Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them (Matthew 4:8)
- To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercy [endureth] for ever. (Psalms 136:6)
- Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I [am] the LORD that maketh all [things]; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself (Isaiah 44:24)
The Visible Second Coming of Jesus
Before considering the flat earth model, I used to struggle with several scriptures that speak clearly of the second coming of Christ. When I read the Word of God it seemed clear that I, and all the inhabitants of the earth would see, with our own eyes, the return of Jesus. Yet, how is this possible if Jesus shows up in China and I’m on the top of the basketball in North America? I resolved that Jesus would have to rely on man’s technology (ie. TV, internet streaming, etc) in order for every eye to see… which never quite sat well with a mortal man such as I… The following scriptures either straight-up tell us that we will see Him with our eyes, or infer it:
- And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven. (Acts 1:9-11)
- Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they [also] which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. (Rev 1:7)
- For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. (Matthew 24:27)
- And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. (Matthew 24:30)
- Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. (Matthew 26:64)
- And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven. (Mark 13-26-27)
- And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. (Mark 14:62)
- Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. 27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. (Luke 21: 26-27)
- For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)
I look forward to any comments, additions, revelations to add to this post.
Today a friend got mad at me. He barely can even call me his friend it seems! He is upset at my lack of key understanding, and so he should be. It is kind of funny that we allow things to control our lives and not even understand the very basic stuff about how they work. It would be like driving your car and not understanding that there is an engine under the hood of the car that needs gas to burn and the burning gas moves the car…
So I guess he got frustrated today because he took the time to educate me. In fact, the sharp rebuke educational email course was so good that I decided to blog it out there as the best ever snapshot of what Ubuntu is, on a technical level.
Before reading this, though, also understand that Ubuntu is much more than software and you should read about that before thinking it’s just the technical stuff below.
Without further adieu, the *best ever* Ubuntu technical course I’ve ever taken summarized in a few bullet points!
- Linux is a kernel.
- BSD is also a kernel.
- An OS needs a kernel to “talk” to hardware.
- Ubuntu is an OS.
- Therefore, Ubuntu needs a kernel.
- Ubuntu now has two kernels that can be used: BSD or Linux.
- Some people think Ubuntu = Linux.
- The people above are wrong.
- Computer science courses are useful.
- A trip to KFC contributes to heart disease.
- Wayne! What the heck is wrong with you???? (I edited this so kid’s could read it)
- Read this! http://blog.josephliau.com/ubuntu-challenged-chicken/
My friend sent me this link to a great page that summarizes most of the key things you need to know about the Ubuntu Phone.
As mentioned in my previous article, we are quickly moving to convergence and in order to make sure we get there safely, ubuntu is the *only* option.
The great news for all of you who were making excuses, is that now you can buy very reliable devices out of the box that are Ubuntu.
It’s not that Ubuntu is the future, it’s that everything else is the past.
Here are some snippets of information that should help both tenants and agents. When a property is for sale, there are some rules that need to be followed and some in particular are more relevant to common real estate transactions involving tenants.
First here is a link to the BC government tenancy guide page
Next, here is the actual PDF guide for saving in case it changes location above for whatever reason:
Now, here are the snippets that I thought are pretty important to have a firm grasp of.
From Residential Tenancy Act Guide
- The tenancy agreement is a fixed term that specifies the tenant will move out at the end of the term
- The tenant or landlord gives notice to end the tenancy in accordance with the law
- The tenancy agreement is frustrated by circumstances beyond the landlord or tenant’s control
- The tenant move outs or abandons the rental unit
- The landlord is granted an order by the RTB
- The tenant and landlord mutually agree in writing to end the tenancy
- By leaving a copy with the tenant or at the tenant’s residence with an adult who appar ently resides with the person. The notice is considered served the same day
- By leaving a copy in a mail box or mail slot for the address at which the tenant resides. The notice is considered served three full days later
- By attaching a copy to a door or other conspicuous place at the address at which the tenant resides. The notice is considered served three full days later
- By transmitting a copy to a fax number provided as an address for service by the tenant. The notice is considered served three full days later
- By sending a copy by ordinary mail or registered mail to the address at which the tenant resides or to a forwarding address provided by the tenant. The notice is considered served five full days after mailing
- As ordered by the RTB
- Demolishing the rental unit or doing major renovations that require the building or rental unit be empty for the work to be done. When possible, renovations should be done without evicting the tenant. For example, if the renovations require the unit to be vacant for a short period, the tenant could be relocated and later return to the unit
- Converting the rental unit to a strata property unit, a non-profit co-operative or society, or a not-for-profit housing co-operative under the Cooperative Association Act
- Converting the rental unit for non-residential use, such as a shop
- Converting the rental unit into a caretaker’s premises The landlord must have all required government permits and approvals in place before issuing the notice for any of the above reasons.
Being married to a Korean it’s hard not to be interested in Korean controversial issues. One of the more famous examples would be the Korean Dok-Do Island which Japan has given another name and tried to claim as their own. It’s a glorified rock, but, of course, it represents nationality and borders so it’s pretty serious.
A new one that my student Eun Chae (ps. thanks for the free content!) introduced me to today is really interesting. Without further adieu, here is her short essay on the topic which sums up well the ‘mystery’.
In Korea, if somebody asks who is the greatest painter in the country, most people would answer ‘Kim Hong Do’. Kim Hong Do was a painter working for royalty, many artists at that time wanted to be him and sometimes they drew the same landscapes. In Japan, one of the most famous painters is ‘Toshusai Sharaku’. However, scholars cannot be convinced that Toshusai Sharaku is Japanese because he suddenly appeared in 1794 and worked only for ten months and disappeared. Some scholars suggested that Kim Hong Do might be Toshusai Sharaku for several reasons and as a result, there is a hypothesis that Toshusai Sharaku, who is the one of the best three portrait painters, was actually Kim Hong Do, the greatest artist in Korea.
The strongest evidence in support of the suggestion that Kim Hong Do is Sharaku, is that both Sharaku’s productive period and Kim Hong Do’s latency period are the same. Toshusai Sharaku suddenly appeared in 1794 and painted about 140 creations for ten months. Conveniently, at that time in Korea, King Jung Jo sent Kim Hong Do to Japan as a secret agent. Therefore, many people theorize that Kim Hong Do changed his name to Sharaku and drew paintings for financing his mission. In addition, it is difficult to establish where Sharaku was born or how Sharaku died. Thus it is no wonder that scholars hypothesize that the most the most convincing suspect is Kim Hong Do.
As a secondary piece of evidence to prove that Sharaku and Hong Do are the same person, both shared a similar painting method. Kim Hong Do had his own personalized brush stroke which, at the end of the stoke, curved up. Comparing the two painters’ drawings, Sharaku’s brush stroke line looks very similar to Kim Hong Do’s. Moreover, Kim Hong Do often drew Buddha with six toes in his painting, which is unusual. Surprisingly, Sharaku also drew six toes on his Buddha, exactly the same way Kim Hong Do drew.
Some of Sharaku’s poems were translated into the Korean language of that era, which was unusual. Some of Sharaku’s Japanese poems made no sense when they were read by the Japanese reader. However, when Sharaku’s poem translated into the Korean language of that time, it was perfectly comprehensible. In addition, found within one of Sharaku’s poems, there are a word ‘danwon (단원)’ , which is a reference to his nick name. Furthermore, spanning across the breadth of his various works are other subtle references to the man Kim Hong Do.
In conclusion, Sharaku and Hong Do have several things in common, including their perfectly matching productive and latency periods, their painting methods. To cement the evidence, the blazingly obvious references of Hong Do in Sharaku’s poetry and the clearly Korean literary style leave little doubt that they are one and the same However, even with the existence of such strong proof, there have not been found any official documents in either countries conclusively proving that Sharaku was indeed Hong do. This topic has become an increasingly popular topic in both Korea and Japan after both respective countries aired mystery shows alluding to the possibility of the shared identity. Neither countries boldly took a position but instead simply left the strong inferences for the viewer to decide.
I wrote this to a friend and I think it’s a fine synopsis of the spiritual condition and so I wanted to share it with the world wide webs:
While you are waiting for Dr. Wayne's spiritual advice, please note that the advice is always the same. Here it is in point form because you like point form: +++The Beginning+++ God made the world and all that is in it so for His glory. +++The Middle+++ -Adam and Eve screwed up and did the only thing God told them not to do. -God punished Adam and Eve and we are still living under that punishment -God promised a way out for those who want it. He promised a Saviour -Jesus was and is the Saviour and came via miraculous birth (you might hear the general public singing songs about this event this week kind of like how you sing the national anthem and don't know what the words are) -Jesus was all God. All man. No sin. Did miracles. Documented in history books. All real. No fake -The above is all impossible to believe without faith even though they are also historical events. That's why there are people who read and have read the Bible and still reject and deny God and the contents of the Bible. Some are even highly intelligent. -God supplies the faith required to believe to those who actually want it and want Him. Most don't. Most like their sin way too much. -For those God has called, and for those who answer the call (you have to answer the phone when it rings if you want to talk to someone, by the way), hope, love and faith are restored to a ruined man (and woman) -Life for the believer is full of hope and a joy that cannot be expressed with human words or understanding because it's not earthly -Life for the unbeliever is full of hopelessness, depression, frustration, sin, darkness, and eventual destruction (God can't back out of His promises) +++The End+++ -the body dies and rots (there are a few ways this can happen as you've noticed) -the spirit goes to heaven (or hell) -the end. +++Conclusion+++ Like a prescription to get healthy requires the sacrifice of your money, the prescription for salvation requires your life. Yes. I said it requires your life. All of it. If the above diagnosis of today's date is in good order and acceptable to you, do contact me and I will lead you to the Living Water so that you also might drink. When you are ready to lay that life down and pick up the one God made for you, let me know. I don't joke around with this stuff. There is no easy way. Blessings! Wayne -----------------------------------------
April Fools day has thrown me off since I was a kid. I thought it was quite irrational if not ‘wrong’ that there would be a day when you could trick (a.k.a. lying) your parents and do pranks and not get in trouble. I noticed people also enjoyed tricking me. For me it was the only day of the year I could put saran wrap over the toilet bowl or point the water hose out of the back of the toilet tank and not get in serious trouble. All I had to do was make the ‘April Fools’ mercy cry. I knew something was wrong with this day.
The real moment of curiousity and intrigue came while I was living in Korea. I was completely thrown off that Koreans also ‘celebrate’ this wacko tradition of tom foolery. I thought it was another inexplicable western mystery (like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny)(which incidentally I have blogged on and de-mystified slightly) but apparently the Asians like to have a day of acceptable folly as well.
Here I am thirty some-odd years later and I still don’t have any of the answers so this year I started doing a little casual research that I thought I would blog for myself and anyone else who would like to solve the mystery of its roots. Especially absent seems to be the participation of Korea in this wackiness. For example, did the west, by chance, steal the tradition from the east and claim it as their own (like chess perhaps) or vice versa? This truly was intriguing.
I did the usual large search engine search and came up with the usual suspects:
- Wikipedia page which lead to my favourite explanation of the day – Sizdah Be-dar from Iran
- An info page by some info article site
- Huffington Post article which contains lots of faith-rooted suggestions for the history. This was probably the most enjoyable and generally interesting article of the three so far if you have to choose for the sake of time 😉
- More? Now it’s your turn to add to the learning
Since this is still a wild card, I would love if someone could, in the comments below, throw in some useful links so that by this time next year I can publish a very awesome ‘guide to April Fools day’ kind of thing. I’m especially looking for when and how April Fools day started in Korea. I’m guessing at this point maybe the foreign soldiers brought it in and played pranks on their unsuspecting Korean comrades to improve morale and help them laugh amongst nasty blood shed?